Top Five Court Decisions with a Significant Impact on Business
The Supreme Court of Canada and the Alberta Court of Appeal issued a number of decisions over the past five years that have significantly impacted businesses and commercial disputes. This seminar will provide a thoughtful update with respect to significant cases including:
- The Court of Appeal of Alberta’s decision in EnCana dealing with contractual interpretation
- The Supreme Court’s decision in Clyde River and Chippewas of the Thames, where duty to consult with aboriginal groups is not satisfied, and guidance on what practices are sufficient to meet consultation requirements
- The Supreme Court of Canada’s decision in Lapointe regarding choice of forum in commercial disputes involving international elements
- The Supreme Court’s decision in Bhasin dealing with organizing principle of good faith
- The Supreme Court of Canada’s companion decisions in Lizotte and Alberta Privacy Commissioner, and the Federal Court of Appeal’s decision in Iggillis, regarding litigation privilege and solicitor-client privilege
- David Tupper, Partner
- Michael O’Brien, Partner
- Brendan MacArthur-Stevens, Associate
- Geoff Adair, Associate
- Marita Zouravlioff, Associate
- Breakfast and Registration: 7:30 – 8 a.m.
- Presentations: 8 – 9 a.m.
Calgary Petroleum Club
319 – 5th Avenue S.W.
Calgary, Alberta (Map)
If you would like more information about this seminar, please contact Becky Freeman by email.
The materials on the Blakes Business Class website are provided for informational purposes only. Accessing this information does not create a lawyer-client relationship. The information does not constitute legal advice or an opinion on any issue.
You may display on your computer, download and print a copy of the material on our website for non-commercial, personal or educational purposes only, provided that the content is not modified and that each copy of such materials identifies the source, bears our copyright notice “© Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP” and the terms of this limited licence. However, no part of any document on our website may be reproduced or transmitted for any other purpose without the prior written permission of Blakes. Enquiries can be directed to Stephanie Willson, Chief Client Relations & Marketing Officer.
© 2018 Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP.
BLAKES, BUSINESS IS OUR SIGNATURE, BUSINESS CLASS, the BLAKES BULLETIN and BLAKES MEANS BUSINESS are trade-marks of Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP.