Transparency Is Coming: New Disclosure Requirements for B.C. Real Estate and Companies
Date: June 18, 2019
The British Columbia government recently introduced two new legislative bills that are designed to allow clearer views into ownership of real estate and corporations:
- Bill 23, the Land Owner Transparency Act, will create a beneficial ownership registry for all lands in B.C., requiring off-title ownership to be reported and available for search publicly. This will strengthen disclosure requirements already enacted for reporting beneficial ownership and trust relationships under the Property Transfer Tax Act.
- Bill 24, which will amend the B.C. Business Corporations Act following similar changes to the Canada Business Corporations Act, will require B.C. corporations to identify and track individuals who own 25 per cent or more of the issued shares or voting rights of a company or have other significant rights or interests in the company.
Please join us as we discuss some of the requirements and impacts of these two bills, which are anticipated to become law soon, and consider other disclosure requirements related to beneficial ownership and corporate ownership.
- Arash Amouzgar, Partner, Blakes
- Greg Umbach, Partner, Blakes
- Mike Ventresca, Associate, Blakes
- Patrick Whitehill, Associate, Blakes
Mandatory Continuing Education
This program has been accredited for 1 CPD Credit Hour with The Law Society of British Columbia.
Breakfast and Registration:
7:30 – 8 a.m.
8 – 9 a.m.
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP
595 Burrard Street
Suite 2600, Three Bentall Centre
If you would like more information about this seminar, please contact us by email.
The materials on the Blakes Business Class website are provided for informational purposes only. Accessing this information does not create a lawyer-client relationship. The information does not constitute legal advice or an opinion on any issue.
You may display on your computer, download and print a copy of the material on our website for non-commercial, personal or educational purposes only, provided that the content is not modified and that each copy of such materials identifies the source, bears our copyright notice “© Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP” and the terms of this limited licence. However, no part of any document on our website may be reproduced or transmitted for any other purpose without the prior written permission of Blakes. Enquiries can be directed to the Blakes Client Relations & Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2019 Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP.
BLAKES, BUSINESS IS OUR SIGNATURE, BUSINESS CLASS, the BLAKES BULLETIN and BLAKES MEANS BUSINESS are trade-marks of Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP.